Tuesday 26 January 2010

12 days of Jon

The past 12 days were utterly magical and I got to see Jon himself. For the first time in six months, gosh it was a long time. Luckily I was fortunate to have apple to help me pass some of the time.

He started his UK travelling journey at like 2am my time on Monday the 11th (Yayy for 11), and got here on Tuesday at like 7pm.

I'm actually going to do a boring low down. Hopefully not too horrible or boring, but that's what I'm doing. I didn't blog once while he was here because I didn't want to waste precious time talking about him when I could be creating new memories with him.... cheese almighty.

I was late picking him up from the airport because, apparently, I was seeking revenge for the last time he came to get me in Salt Lake and I was early and he was still on time so I had to wait.

This time he was also early, but I knew about it because I was checking flight tracker, but the BA website and flight tracker told me two different stories, and then traffic was still a little heavy from rush hour so it took me longer to get the aeropuerto than normal.

There was no huge dramatic running, or huge people scene. The airport was empty, and he was sitting, waiting, with a few people dotted around, we did have that awkward moment when you see someone from a distance then you have to wait for them to come closer, and you can't decide if you should keep eye contact, then you don't know where to look either.

I got me some hugs though, and I'm not going to lie it was weird having it be real again and it not being something that only existed in my imagination. It was amazing though, and possibly one of the most emotional but non-external emotional moments in my life.

I took him home, and put him to bed, but he was resisting bed, and stayed up until about 10 then almost died of sleep deprivation. Travelling in an Eastward direction is a nightmare. Travelling West is much easier. I went to bed a few hours later after watching Limmy's show on iPlayer, which is actually quite funny in an odd way. Very unobvious humour.

Anyway. I was woken at 4am by Jon who thought it was 8am (because he was looking at the time on his computer 8pm california time). He wanted Chinese food, I told him to go raid the kitchen and continued to sleep. 4am is early.

In the real morning, we got up and got ready and sat around for too long to do anything. We went and got my embassy and passport photos taken, then headed to Kate's house for Chinese food and some awesome banter from the Ray, Kate and Amelia.

When we left my tyre was making a weird noise as I did a U-turn, and, for the first time in my life I had a flat tyre.

Luckily my spare wasn't flat, but just a thin tread. The only issue we had was getting the hub cap off because I tie them on with cable ties, for lack of finding scissors in the car (which I found the next morning) I ripped it off with brute force because Jon was freezing to death.

We team work changed the tyre and got totally dirty.

More than likely we watched a movie before heading to our separate bunk beds, but i'm not actually sure. i can't remember.

On thursday Jon and Vikki did Glasgow.

we were late getting up as always, and I was a bit slow at taking pictures that day.

We went to see the transport museum (which I love), and the art gallery which is an amazing building. We then went to the City centre and saw Royal Exchange Square lights and a bit of Goma before heading to Hamleys and the Disney store with the old school figures and scenes around the tops shelves of the shop.

We then met Claire for 20 minutes before she had to work, and then we walked around town for a bit and went to Waterstones and McDonalds. we then headed to George Square and on to the Cathedral and the oldest house in Glasgow. We then came home and I'm sure we watched a movie that night... Jon and I are all about movies... a life without movies would be sad.



On Friday I had to work, and when I came home we had dinner and then went to the cinema (after a trip to asda) to see 'it's complicated' because Jon is actually a lovely guy and doesn't mind taking a 'girly movie' hit. We were meant to go to a Rugby game but when I came in from work Jon was playing Risk with my wee brother. I didn't want to interrupt because he seemed to be having a whale of a time, but apparently it was a 6 hour game that was not as entertaining as it appeared.

Saturday was a work day for me as well and when I got in I did some car research to see if I could stop a high pitched squealing noise coming from my Ka. It started doing it again (it did it last year, and stopped about 8 months ago) on the way to the airport to get Jon. I defused the noise but sadly also defused the back lights which are rather essential for motorway driving.

After some deciding we went to Stirling and just 'took' the noise. It was well worth it though. Stirling castle is my favourite. I'm sad we never got inside (it was super late), but it was worth seeing the small streets and the buildings in Stirling.













On Sunday after Church we headed out to Loch Lomond, Luss, to have free short bread. My favourite place around Loch Lomond is Luss, it's so pretty and it's the closest beach to Glasgow, so in summer it's always busy, and people jump off the big pier. People like the awesome and brave Toni.





We drove up through Helensburgh and down by Faslane to see the MoD bases. There's a huge area of hills that's all fenced off because underneath is like 60% of the UKs nuclear weapons. It's all tunnels, lorries and snippers, and on the top it just looks like hills and a forrest. I couldn't find the exact location and it was also really dark. It gets dark here at 4pm just now, which sucks, it makes it really difficult to do things.

We headed home and had huge family dinner and hung out with Kate Ray Amelia Lola Mat Amie Kris and my mum. It was really goodly awesome. I loved it. And I kept getting into trouble for being overly motherly and checking up on Jon's eating habits.

Kate then coaxed Jon into giving a short three step demonstration of his moonwalking skills because she spent a good twenty minutes going up and down our laminate floor trying to do it.

On Monday I think we went to wagamamas. We went to Boots to get me a second inhaler and then we went to wagamamas, which was amazing. After that we went to see the Roman Ruins of the bath house which are close to where I live. They're pretty cool, we were struggling in the dark again, but I think we survived okay. Just no images to prove it.

Tuesday I was sick as a sick thing, so we stayed in all day, boring I know, but I really was not well. We got to hang out with each other all day though and I didn't have to share Jon with the world :)

Wednesday was Edinburgh day. We got up early enough and ran out the house with the desire to get there for the 1 o' clock gun. we ran for the train and timed everything well.



We got there on time, and hoofed it up the hill, and into the castle with about 5 minutes to spare. It was the first time I'd ever seen the 1 o' clock gun and the first time I think i've been into Edinburgh castle. I remember being outside it loads, but never inside.

Jon was immediately impressed by the cobbled streets and the curving buildings and the old stairs.

The gun was loud and amazing, I wish I had taken photos of the actual event, but I just got the gun afterwards



We wandered through the castle for a while and saw the crown jewels and lots of different caverns and holes and rooms. We also saw some prisons that housed americans during the civil war and i was joking that it had just got personal.









When we were leaving the castle we were asked if we wanted to purchase a souvenir photo pack (they took the picture on the way in). The photo was ridiculous looking because of my face and they had placed the same photo through various places in the castle, it was actually really comical.

From the castle we walked down to Greyfriars bobby and then to monster mash, then we headed down to the parliament building and then back to Princes street for a wander before going home on the train. We got home and then went to see Krystyl because she was quitting vet school and going home on Thursday. We hung out there until about 11:30 with Krystyl and Josh, and Krystyls room mate that made replica carrot cake from Mimi's cafe.

Thursday we slept in really late and I had hoped to do some Perth/Dundee/St Andrews and Laura, but it turned into a quick trip to Killearn before the sun went down and a peek in the dark of some scottish countryside.

Friday I was back at work and when I got home Jon and i went for dinner with Mary the Skills Mills and Colin. We went to the wee curry shop and it was awesome. The night ended with some quick hot chocolate at tinderbox and then to their house for some late night banter. It was actually really good. I love the skillso.

saturday Was haggis night with my mother.



I wouldn't tell Jon what was in the meaty haggis until after he consumed it, but oddly he wasn't phased by it's ingredients and he did declare that he preferred the meaty one over the vegetarian one.



We then went to see Donna and Daniel and got some serious chat on until the early morn. Then we went to Asda to get Jon some Cheese to take home and, because I had a serious case of the munchies, and had to show Jon the joy of the chippy we went on a Chippy adventure and went to Eilidh's bit to Philadelphia.



It tasted so good.

Sunday was church and was meant to be engagement photos but I was up so late the night before I slept through the daylight after church, and now I am filled with serious regret. Nevermind. we'll work something out. :)

We did get a very random 'family' picture



Kate came over to say bye to Jon with the small baby child and then I packed some of my stuff in Jon's case and then bed was imminent.

Then, this morning... he left. He really did go despite being asked by various friends and family members from the first whole day of being here if he would extend and stay or not.

After the airport I came home and slept the day away, and then started on furthering our visa. I really can't live and be a normal 100% person without him. Fact.

1 comment:

Tari said...

While I know it's hard for you two to be apart, I'm glad Jon got to visit! Good luck with the remaining paperwork!