Wednesday 25 August 2010

Tribal envy

So today is officially my day off. Yayy.

And I wanted to go swimming and I was thinking of getting up early to do that so I could avoid the general public at all costs, but no joy. I woke at 11 and was totally sad.

Last week when I went there were too many people. I like to not see any member of the general public on my day off. Call me crazy, but I get an overdose of them every single day that I'm at work, so I'm happy to isolate myself. :)

I've been watching a TV show called 'Can Fat Teens Hunt?' and it's been amazing, it's about 10 fat teenagers from the UK that are sent to an ancient tribe in Borneo and they have to eat rice, frogs, and other such random things that you would find in the jungle.

and they have to make their own find, find their own food, catch their own food, and cleanse their own water.

It was unreal watching some of it. So so lazy.

It was actually crazy. But I was also slightly envious of the tribe. They have their house, they aren't cold, they have each other, their entire day is based upon preparing food and finding food. That's all they have to worry about. No bills, no taxes, no car insurance, no adverts about car insurance, no actual possessions.

It was actually amazing. I am so envious. I wish there was no stress, or pressure of having to live in the west. We are all required to achieve a certain level of success if we want to have a 'good' 'happy' life, but it's all prescribed nonsense. I have no idea when or who set those rules. But it sickens me.

There could be nothing more rewarding than raring and growing your own food and being entirely self sufficient. And not being completely overloaded with images of 'happy' people on TV making you feel depressed because their lives are complete because they use X-brand washing powder. It actually makes me sick.

And even if we do have enough money to buy our food the food is completely processed and flavour enhanced and completely toxic to our bodies.

The world is a mess, and sometimes I think this is it. We're all waiting for some further huge disaster, and life changing event, but this, how the world is right now, is so far from how things should be, that it is terrifying.

I don't look forward to farming, because i'm 100% lazy to it, but I do think that if there was no financial debt to satanic companies, and no constant bombardment of products and adverts and colours, our brains would be able to just relax.

This got really heavy really quickly.

All these thoughts are based off this image



those are all the world possessions of Ghandi.

It's completely cathartic to think about.

So yeah, It's my day off, and I want to be fit and healthy but I want to not see any of the public. It makes for a difficult situation.

Here's an awesome picture of the day to be happy about:



I also watched toddler in tiaras the other night and it was sublime. I loved it, but I felt like I had to hate it at the same time. It was all about little kids in beauty pageants, just like Little Miss Sunshine. Amazing.

2 comments:

charles said...

i want to watch that fat teens hunting show.

charles said...

also, there was this marvelous exhibition at the byu art museum (i know, seriously?) back in the early 2000s done by 7 (I think) Australian women artists. One of them did an installation about groups of refugees over time and what they've been able to take with them when they've fled their homes and it was very very touching/poignant. The last one was a glass case with nothing in it, and in front of it was written (I'm paraphrasing) "We escaped with our lives. That was enough."
I wish I remembered the artists' names.