Monday 9 November 2009

Numbers Rant

I have a mentor at work... He's meant to help and assist.

He pretty much shows me my financial figures and then berates me, and then tries to work out how to make me better.

Here's the thing.

I am 12th in the store for sales.

I have a high percentage of apple care add ons.

I have a low percentage of one to one add ons.

Every store in the world has been challenged to reach 50%.

The more computers I sell without one-to-one means that the store average is affected.

People that want it, will buy it, I don't tend to get the customers that want it.

90% of the people that come to the store to buy have had pre-intentions.

A lot of them are students.

I tend to get the students, the young guys that already technically minded and the foreign people.

I don't mind this.

But, the people that would benefit from one to one never want to talk to me, never want to interact and always end up talking to the young boys because 1. Boys know technology, and 2. Older women love little boys.

My Mentor enjoys showing me my figures every chance he gets and likes saying 'is there anything I can do to help?' or 'this is your percentage, look at everyone else's'.

The thing is, everyone else's is either drastically below mine, or just a little bit above. But for the sake of not arguing I just nod and go yeah, crazy, terrible isn't it.

The problem is, when you start a shift and you're being made to feel like crap (even although you're twelfth in the store and you only work 16 hours a week compared to the full timers or high contracted people in the top 11) because you can't sell one to ones, then I tell you, you don't want to even sell any computers to anyone because if they don't take one to one then you're percentage will be messed up.

It's totally messed up. I hate it actually. And I actually think I'm at my capacity with my mentor, the next time he shows me my freakin' numbers I might actually not give him the happy, life is awesome answer. Seriously. So mad. It bothers me. If you can't tell.

I mean I get it, I really do get it, the thing is, apple has asked for 50% most likely assuming no one will really get that amount and that they will actually keep trying for it and get 40-45%.

Uptight.

No comments: