Tuesday 10 February 2009

Cosby.

This weekend was an intersting one.

We had a weekend kitten. Cutest little darling thing.

A few weeks ago Jon decided that he wanted a pet and that he could actually own a cat.

Anyone that knows me, KNOWS that i love cats more than any other animal.

Over the years I've had budgies, I've had fish, I've had dogs. But I have never bonded with any of them like I have bonded with Sooty and now Zero.

When Sooty died there was a void in my life for years, then Zero filled it. I love that cat more than anything.



So, I'd been checking the local classifieds looking for a kitten for Yonnyman, and then on Saturday we decided to go to the shelters and see what they had on offer. I tell you, I have never been so depressed in all my life.

To go from the happiest place on earth two weeks ago to the most depressing place on earth was hard. I wanted to save all those cats, they were so wonderful. They were mostly a year or two old. I was miserably and a half. So beautiful they all were. Cramped in their little boxes, sleeping in their own cat litter. It was horrific.

I've had many a discussion with Jon about animals and how an animal is for life and it's not disposable. And he has the argument of 'they are just animals and human life should be valued more, if not then why are we so religious'.

There's no swaying him on that one. I've tried. I think there's just something about caring for another animal that bonds me to it forever. I could never just give my cat to someone else because circumstances in my life change. It's pure selfish. Anyway, We tried two different shelters and all the animals had sneezes and they were a little bit crazy and had shelter issues. It's hard for cats because they hold such grudges.

We went to a PetCo to see if they had an adoption viewing thing that day and they did. That's where we found Cosby. Her name was Snickers, and she was the most beautiful thing. Of course, Jon wanted an animal that was lively and not dead looking, and that's what he got :)

She was a fiesty wee beast, she enjoyed scratching the carpet which looks like a giant scratch post, and she loved biting and scratching. And on Sunday afternoon she enjoyed using the green rug in Jon's living room as her litter box. Little did she know hours later she would be back in a box and living in a cage again.

On Saturday night the little vixen bit Jon... which Kittens do... and which animals with issues do. I was attempting to explain that. Then the area which Jon had been bitten started to itch. His eyes got dry, his nose started to run and he was sneezing. His hand puffed up in the bitten area. And I officially confirmed, with the help of wikipedia, that Jon himself is, in fact, allergic to cats.

Not only did this stress me out to no end on Saturday with worry about the fate of Cosby, but then I started worrying about the future future and the possibility that I might have to choose between Zero and my boy. I shouldn't have to choose between my baby and him though, that's unfair of the world.

Anyway, back to Cosby. She was lively, awesome and she seemed happy. I was sad that we had to take her back and I actually cried stupidly because she was gone. I know she'll be rehomed, but still, she was kind of mine for a while, and although I hadn't fully bonded with her yet, I'd still bonded enough to feel like she was something more to me than someone elses cat.

Gutted.

Anyway... that cute little face was amazing. And I'm still really upset about the whole thing. Emotionally teased.

My homage to the kitten face:











Every day I pray that by some miracle he won't be allergic to black cats.

No comments: