Tuesday 15 September 2009

Monday Double Feature

Today was double feature monday... again woop!

I love my cinema card.

I had to go in to the apple store to give them my passport to prove I can work in the UK... lame. Just look at me... of course I can work here. I'm pale, and I have 'ginger/scottish freckle skin.' And I have a pretty good scottish accent.

Anyway...

my double feature was Adventureland followed by 500 days of summer.

Adventureland was awesome but it felt like the roles were written for other actors. Kirsten Swanson started her lines with one of her terrible moan gasp noises. Her noises ruin twilight... she protests too much with her lungs.

It was an interesting story though, I enjoyed it, definitely a keeper (one for the dvd box).

The second movie was 500 days of summer which, of course, has had bad reviews because your average 'I love Sandra Bullock or Renne Zelwegger type rom-coms' person goes to see it thinking it's one of those kinds of movies, when in actual fact it's not.

I would also like to say that seeing the kid from Third Rock From the Sun brought back a lot of love and lust that I used to have for him when I was younger. I used to fancy him like no other. haha.

Anyway. While I was on the train coming home I was thinking about the movie and how similar it kind of is to:

1. my own life
2. the book I wrote last year
3. my own lie

Right at the end when everything kind of falls into place I, all-of-a-sudden was able to relate to and understand Zooey Deschanel's character so much more.

I've enjoyed Zooey for quite a time now, but since she started releasing 30 movies a year she's gone down in my estimation... but her character in this movie said something about 'not wanting to be anyone's anything.' As in not wanting a label and not wanting to be in a relationship for the sake of it, because eventually someone's feelings will be hurt and that's just not a nice thing to do.

So in my life, oddly, I would always assess pretty quickly if I thought something was worth the pursuit and if it wasn't then I wouldn't allow myself or someone else to be hurt. And I wouldn't allow myself to be labelled as anything of theirs and definitely not labelled as an ex. It's such a negative word.

I'm an ex-flatmate perhaps... but nothing else. I'm not boasting about it by any means, I just have never liked that title and my own list of what could be called ex's I refer to more as people, I use their names, turn them into old memories or old friends, call them previous likes, or people I previously dated, or old friends that influenced my life, or really good friends from the past or something. Whatever minor relationships I had with them are in no means a regret to me, and are nothing negative in my life... I wouldn't be who I am without my encounters with them.

Anyway. That was one thing her character and I had in common.

The other was the non-commital, test the water thing, having friends that are guys. Although it's been a few years since I've been at that nonsense... it is something from the past. Goes hand in hand with not being anyone's anything.

Then something unexpected happens, and you just feel it, and you just know it, and you just want it... and it seems time and space and a lot of other people's lives have been influenced and aligned to make it happen. One chance meeting, and one moment, where two entirely different people made similar choices of where to be at a specific time... and then that's it. You don't realise what happened at first but then 10 months down the line you can see it all perfectly mapped and viewed with the goggles of hindsight. Perfect. Happy. Wonderful.

No comments: