Saturday 5 September 2009

An Ode to a Number

Dear Twenty Five.

You have been my friend for 365 days and it is now time for me to part ways with you.

Farewell twenty five. You served me well and you will be sorely missed, but twenty six was unstoppable and just barged on through pushing you out of the way. I tried to stop it, but Dr Emmett Brown hasn't, quite yet, invented a time freezing machine.

My apologies on behalf of life and time.

Time just let twenty six waltz right in, no questions asked. Twenty Five, I would keep you forever if I could. But I have a feeling I can't.

1. You brought me to Italy
2. We saw Pompeii together
3. We stood in the Mediterranean sea together
4. We ate pasta and pizza
5. We had our purse stolen in Naples (I admit it was stolen now)
6. We were blasphemous in the Vatican together
7. We flew to Salt Lake together three times
8. We went to Disneyland together
9. We met the one
10. We cut our fringe back in
11. We fell in love (not with each other, but with someone else)
12. We decided to get married
13. We went to three weddings of best friends
14. We fell in love with Chihuahuas
15. We grieved and mourned and finally got over it
16. We almost wrote a whole novel in thirty days
17. We had a design printed in a magazine
18. We went to Ireland twice
19. We went to Girl Talk, Mountain Goats, Metallica, Bleary, Dodos. (that's pitiful.)
20. We watched In The Loop, Twilight, Let The Right One In, Harry Potter 6, Up, The Spirit, Bolt, Burn After Reading, Choke, Happy Go Lucky (to name a few)
21. We went to Sundance Film Festival
22. We bought UGG boots.. GASP
23. We ate sushi for the first time
24. We designed a lot of good stuff, a lot of random stuff, and a lot of boring stuff
25. We held a rainbow together


I'm sure we did many other things. But these stand out, and I reached 25 memories which is a good number for the subject in question.

It's a full moon tonight, twenty-five, and I held a rainbow with you today, somehow it makes our parting a little more romantic and somewhat more bareable, as if it was well and truly meant to be that we end our relationship on this very night.

I don't like even numbers, but I don't have a choice, I will have to forge a new adventure with Twenty-Six.

Sorry for cheating on you twenty five... Time says I'm no longer allowed to be your friend... I will always look back with fond memories and remember the good times... the really really good times when we were very audacious, confident and very happy.

I hope you find someone to have an adventure with, forgive me for moving on so quickly. Time doesn't permit a grieving period for a number.

My love and best wishes to you Twenty Five.

I will always remember you.

Be safe on your travels, and maybe we will meet again, possibly when you have been multiplied by two.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments: