Friday 22 August 2008

The Art of Loosing.

Okay, so in the movie, In Her Shoes, I was amused by the poem One Art by Elizabeth Bishop which Cameron Diaz reads.

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.


--Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.



It's quite pretty, quite nice, quite true and filled with a lot of love. The kind of love that is real and based on a deep bond of friendship rather than just feelings in a stomache or temporary love. This is unconditional and amazing.

Sad.

But it's true, we all do get used to losing things, and people. We just start accepting it, and we look and suspect that things will be lost so we always assume we will loose them so we try not to attach ourselves to them in order to not be surprised or upset when they are lost.

When I say we I mean me, it's a fact, I do it all the time. I just assume that nothing will last forever so I just wait for it to leave rather than hold on to it, or I behave towards thing like a lost dog: You know, turn your back on it and send it home. I will tell it leave me alone and go away because it will leave me eventually any way.

I only started losing things recently. Like my wooly hat, my jacket, my gloves, I left my laptop in a bar, I've left left my jumper in wagamamas, and before I have spent hours looking for car keys and what not. I hate losing things. They are inanimate objects and I control them, I am in charge of them, how can they leave me. So Then I feel bad because it's my neglect that causes them to be lost.

No comments: