Tuesday 12 August 2008

Childhood Dreams; or, When I Used To Want To Be A Hollywood, time travelling Ninja Cat.

After watching that Randy Pausch lecture the other day I've started wondering what on earth my childhood dreams were.

The more you grow up the more you realise the harshness and the non-fiction version of the world, and you suddently realise that your childhood dreams are either a) not plausible b) just not socially acceptable or c) satanic.

(Saying the word plausible reminds me of a short conversation I had in Utah about me wanting to be married in the San Diego temple. This was a childhood dream actually, and the person I was talking to told me that it was possible and plausible if I was to marry someone from California... I was royally pissed off at that point because it felt like I was being shoo'd and told to go chase Californians... pah ha. My anger management is getting better as I start to rebuild my defenses and my wall.)

So here they are, things that during my childhood I wanted to be or wanted to do.

1. A writer. I used to write fiction stories all the time. I loved it. All about futuristic video games sucking people in, or about foxes. I used to write in a style similar to Wes Anderson (TAKE THAT CHRIS) but he was better than me it is fact. I say was, because now I am just amazing and Wes Anderson will one day be stealing ideas from me.

2. Architect, Lawyer, Airhostess.

3. Animator working for Disney. This is a big one. I went to art school and Dundee to do animation. Through divine intervention I ended up doing graphic design. I'm still waiting to find out what great purpose that has to serve. That and my orange converse. What are they for?

I still want to work for Disney, but I hate them at the same time. See option c of things that can happen to your childhood dreams.

4. An artist, an actress, a movie director, a filmaker.

5. A musician. I've always wanted to be in a band, and i've ALWAYS since the age of 5/6 wanted to play the drums. That should be something I definitely have to fulfill. I've wanted to play the guitar and bass too, as well as the glockenspiel, like Johnny Greenwood from radiohead.

6. A model, a dancer.

7. I've wanted to live in New York, and California.

8. An Olympic Swimmer. I still wish this.

9. I wanted to be Michael J Fox.

10. I wanted to be a goonie.

11. An advertiser.

12. A super awesome wife with mini Vikki spawn that are my best friends.

13. A superhero

14. Strong.

15. A ninja figher, a spy, a sneaky sneakerton.

16. A hat wearer.

17. A cook. A Baker.

18. A Bartender like in Cocktail, so someone can come up to me one day and say 'Bartender, you know how to make a red eye.'

19. I wanted to marry and kiss Tom Cruise and ride on the back of his motorbike.

20. A cat.

There's a lot of random ones.

I might now pick out the best and re-occuring ones.


1. Work for Disney

2. Live in New York and LA

3. Be Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future

4. Be an Olympic Swimmer

5. Be in a super douper rock band (as either the guitarist, the lead singer, the drummer etc)

6. An advertiser

7. A Goonie

8. A superhero (ninja warrior)

9. A Writer

10. An artist

11. Film maker.

Pretty much, I want to be the epitome of popular culture. I want to be Keanu Reeves. PAH HA. Not really, I want to be Michael J Fox.

On top of all that one of my most recent goals is to be on Takeshi's castle or another asian equivalent.

I also just want to travel.

I think the common denomonator in all my childhood dreams was excitement. I wanted another life, a more exciting life, one with crazy goonie adventures and time travel and tom cruise and fame and MC Hammer.

Do do do do, do do do can't touch this. Don't stop... MILLER TIME.

Here's one more thought.

Do you ever sing along with the hoover? Because I for one do, and wait and listen for it to resonate. I love that sound. Singing in harmony with the hoover.

No comments: